With summer HERE (where did the year go?!) it’s time for salads in the sunshine. These are a great way to get lots of greens in and as mentioned in my last post, I’m in serious shredding for the wedding mode! This means less wine, less cheese and less pasta etc and more green shit!
To help me along with this little mission of mine I’m following a personalised nutrition plan (that doesn’t include wine… I did ask if there could be a wine allowance though. Apparently that’s not part of the plan). And sessions at Body Shot Fitness in the city which does amazing boxing classes. I’m also doing one-on-one classes once a week to learn technique and have a decent workout with the trainer.
With all this in mind I need to get a little creative with my food and ensure that I’m eating the stuff I’m meant to be. I struggle with boring salads or meat and three veg kind of meals so I’m trying to keep it interesting. Which is where this yummy tuna and kumara salad comes in.
This is super quick to make, and it tastes amazing and fresh!
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 20 min
250g yellow fin tuna
1 medium sized kumara
4 handfuls of rocket
Dressing Juice of half a lemon
1 tsp mirin
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius. While this is heating up cut kumara into cubes. Place in oven dish with a little olive oil and season with salt.
- While the kumara is cooking, season your tuna with salt and pepper, set aside.
- Start putting together your salad. Place two handfuls of rocket onto two plates, followed by coriander to your tasting (I like a lot!).
- Mix together all of your dressing ingredients and set aside.
- When your kumara is about five minutes away from being ready, heat a pan with a little olive oil to sear your tuna.
- When the pan is up to temperature, place tuna in and sear for approximately 90 seconds per side (this will be super rare, if you like it more cooked through, cook it for longer).
- Place kumara on your bed of rocket and coriander, followed with slices of your tuna.